What really happens to your body when you drink soda? That is a great question!
• In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid added to the soda cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
• 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat.
• 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
• 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. (This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way).
• >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium. Basically, you are about to pee out some essential nutrients.
• >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. It is now assured that you’ll “eliminate” the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
• >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down, you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, “eliminated” any water that was in the soda. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.) But, hey, have another soda, it’ll make you feel better.
*FYI: What makes soda so dangerous? It’s the dynamic combo of massive sugar doses combined with caffeine and phosphoric acid.